When talking about sun exposure, we should take a look at the vitamin D production. The human body cannot produce this vitamin other than through sun exposure. “Ultraviolet radiation (UVB) are really essential for a robust health. The idea that we must protect ourselves from the sun all the time is wrong and unhealthy. Sun phobia explains why so many people are suffering from conditions related to deprivation of the sun. “(Michael F. Holick, PhD, MD – The UV Advantage, The Medical Breakthrough That Shows How to Harness the Power of The Sun for Your Health , J.Boylston & Co., Publishers, New York, 2003 x).
Vitamin D production depends on the time of sun exposure, how vertical the sunlight is, the hemisphere where we are, etc. According to researchers, to produce enough vitamin D we should expose to the sun rays without protective creams 2-3 times a week just between 10:00AM – 3:00PM, just enough so our skin doesn’t become red (10-20 minutes maximum). Outside these periods the skin must be protected with natural sunscreen which are based only on natural ingredients. Beside this exposure, avoid direct sunlight between 10:00-16:00.
The sun is the same as a few years ago, although there are opinions how it would be more dangerous. On the contrary, some researchers argue that some holes in the ozone layer have been plugged. Otherwise the residents of equatorial countries should all have cancer. But studies show that this disease may be caused by the chemical ingredients from the conventional sunscreen.
Here is a recipe for a natural sunscreen you may prepare at home.
You Will Need:
- 1 oz oil blend (sweet almond and calendula oil)
- 1 oz mango butter
- 1 oz beeswax
- 30 drops essential oils of choice (avoid citrus ones, they are photo toxic)
- 0.36 oz zinc oxide powder
1. Combine the oils, mango butter and the beeswax in a glass jar.
2. Melt them over low heat. Use a pan with hot water.
3. Add the essential oils, then mix in the zinc oxide. You may want to wear a mask so you don’t inhale the powder. Make sure it is evenly distributed.
4. Store in a clean container and reapply often when you are at the beach or pool.