We are increasingly urged to guard against the sun for various reasons: we get burn, we may develop skin cancer, premature skin aging, etc. But what no one tells us is that the sun is not the enemy but our ally. Sun helps us produce vitamin D whose absence in the body can cause a range of diseases, but also an increased risk of cancer.
This does not mean you have to sit all day on the beach. It’s just that we should not be afraid to expose our skin properly or to cover ourselves with sun protection creams from sunrise until sunset. It is best to protect ourselves with appropriate clothes and hats and use sunscreen during the time we stay at the beach or perform prolonged outdoor activities and we are not protected by clothing.
You should use only natural sunscreen, which offers mineral protection. This acts like a barrier for the sun rays and it is not absorbed by the skin. In fact mineral sun blockers, like zinc oxide, are like a mirror which reflects the UVA and UVB rays.
You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax pastilles
- 1 tsp red raspberry seed oil
- 1-2 tbsp zinc oxide
- 1 tsp carrot seed oil
- 20 drops Lavender essential oil
1. Take a glass jar and combine the following ingredients: shea butter, coconut oil, sesame oil, beeswax pastilles.
2. Melt them on a pan with hot water, over low heat. Make sure you don’t boil the butter and oils as they lose their beneficial properties.
3. Once they have melted, remove from heat.
4. Add the red raspberry seed oil and the carrot seed oil. Stir well.
5. Mix in the zinc oxide, being carefully not to inhale the powder. You may wear a mask to avoid this.
6. Stir well again so the zinc oxide is evenly distributed.
7. Add the essential oil and mix again.
8. Transfer to a clean container and apply when needed.