Many people struggle with finding the right balance in a face mask for their face. I am one of those people. Over the years I have been a huge fan of aloe as a main ingredient in almost every one of my skin care products because it just feels awesome on my face. One day my one year old son thought it would be fun to mash his half eaten, slobbery banana all over my face during a meditation session.
Having a busy day that day, I just wiped it off and went about my day not giving it much thought until my evening face wash came around. I noticed that my always slightly large pores were tightly closed where the banana was mashed and my skin had a soft, tight feel to it (not to mention it made me look beach time glow-y).
Recently I have been experimenting with different ingredients for a home spa day with my buddies and decided to add some banana into the mixture. Here is the recipe that the girls fell in love with and I am now passing it onto you. This recipe yields 1 mask and can be made creamier by adding some Greek yogurt.
- ½ Ripe Banana (mashed)
- ⅛ tsp. Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ⅛ tsp. Lemon Juice
- ½-1 tsp. Honey (depending on desired consistency)
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Spoon or Fork for mashing and mixing
- Small container for storage (if needed)
- Cut banana into small pieces
- Mash the pieces with a spoon
- Add cocoa powder, lemon juice, and honey to the bowl and mix thoroughly
- Transfer to storage container and label the “use by” date for one week or use immediately
How to use it
- Cleanse face using soap and water
- On a clean face, spread face mask focusing on area that have clogged pores
- Let stand for 20-30 minutes then rinse away with luke warm water
- Splash cold water on face then pat dry.
* The lemon and honey have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that every great face mask needs. Together they help to combat acne and make the skin supple and glowing.
** Chocolate, while not being the ultimate ingredient for a face mask, have anti-aging antioxidants and taste and smell yummy on your face.
Because of all the allergies out there, I feel it necessary to include a disclaimer for this recipe. Please, please, please test a small amount of this mask on your skin before using it on your face. Some people may be able to eat all of the ingredients but have skin sensitivity to the same ingredients. Always store this in the refrigerator and use within one week of making it. Lemon juice is a natural preservative but even at that banana does not stay “good” for long.